Now supporting Angular 8 and Vue.js, NativeScript enables developers to reuse 70% of the application code written for a web application during the mobile app development process
“The latest release of NativeScript brings some amazing features for our enterprise customers,” said Dmitri Tcherevik, CTO, Progress. “Now developers will be able to ship updates faster, make even smaller app binaries, and the fastest delivery of cross-platform apps that are of the highest quality, providing the best user experience as demanded by our discerning users.”
Developer Experience and Extensibility
NativeScript has long supported 100% code sharing across iOS and Android. With NativeScript 6.0 the amount of code reuse between web and mobile has increased. NativeScript can achieve 70% code reuse across web and mobile, including support for PWAs. This shortens development and testing cycles for both web and mobile apps in production while ensuring consistency across digital channels. It also lowers the cost of development and maintenance for deployed applications.
In addition, NativeScript provides:
- Support for Angular 8 and the new rendering engine, Ivy, for better files, compilation time and application performance
- Full support for Vue.js, including feature parity for new functionality between Vue.js, Angular and Core frameworks as well as the use of all plugins developed for NativeScript. Mission critical support is available from Progress to complement the free support channels
- Anew dark theme to coincide with the iOS dark mode that will be available with iOS 13
- The ability to consume third-party libraries directly in iOS
- The public release of the Hot Module Replacement which includes support for SASS files and script changes in Vue.js, support for Angular projects out of the box, as well as acknowledgment of file operations like adding or deleting files from a project’s structure.
- Support for the new Android X library, enabling use of the latest features of the newest Android versions, when shipped
Performance and Stability
As developers continue to be tasked with more work under tighter deadlines, NativeScript eases this burden with greater performance and stability. NativeScript 6.0 now enables
- 30% faster builds for Android and 10% faster startup time for iOS
- “markingMode: none” is now an officially supported option of the Android runtime
- New flexible layouts, like TabView, give users the ability to make more intricate layouts with less code
- Faster go-to-market for new app versions because of a streamlined store approval process
- Complete integration with the WebPack framework for all NativeScript apps ensuring the best file size and performance for any chosen architecture
Progress complements the open source version of NativeScript with several commercial models. NativeScript plays a key role in Progress® Kinvey®, a cloud-native app dev platform used to build omni-channel experiences that include native mobile apps. Progress also provides paid support plans, while training and professional services are delivered through a partner network.
NativeScript 6.0 is available today. For more information go to www.nativescript.org or to learn more about the market leading capabilities of NativeScript, read the “2019 Gartner Magic Quadrant for Multiexperience Development Platforms,” in which Progress is listed as a Leader.
Progress (NASDAQ: PRGS) offers the leading platform for developing and deploying strategic business applications. We enable customers and partners to deliver modern, high-impact digital experiences with a fraction of the effort, time and cost. Progress offers powerful tools for easily building adaptive user experiences across any type of device or touchpoint, award-winning machine learning that enables cognitive capabilities to be a part of any application, the flexibility of a serverless cloud to deploy modern apps, business rules, web content management, plus leading data connectivity technology. Over 1,700 independent software vendors, 100,000 enterprise customers, and two million developers rely on Progress to power their applications. Learn about Progress at www.progress.com or +1-800-477-6473.
Progress, Kinvey, and NativeScript are trademarks or registered trademarks of Progress Software Corporation and/or one of its subsidiaries or affiliates in the US and other countries. Any other trademarks contained herein are the property of their respective owners.